Pin-spiration: Slow cooker apple butter

I'm guilty of using Pinterest way too much, and I find I rarely use/make/buy things I pin.  That's why I decided to start a mini project called Pin-spiration: using inspiration from Pinterest in real life.  The idea is to actually make the recipes I keep ogling, use the fashion ideas, make some of the crafts, etc.   

Today I'm sharing a recipe I found for apple butter made in the slow cooker.    I tried apple butter for the first time in college and it was delicious.  Back then I wasn't very motivated to cook from scratch, nor did I have the time.  But over the years I've thought how neat it would be to try making apple butter at home.  I always thought it would be easy, so last year I tried it and it was not good at all...I added too much cinnamon and the apples ended up looking more like apple sauce than butter.  This year I came across a recipe on Pinterest that seemed pretty easy so I tested it out.


If you have never had apple butter you may be thinking it sound gross, but it is awh-mazing.  Imagine biting into an apple but it has a smooth, velvety texture.  That is how I would describe apple butter.   Or, an even simpler way to think about it is pureed applesauce, because that is really all it is!

Ingredients:

Directions:
  1. Combine everything in slow cooker 
  2. Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 12 hours, stirring occasionally if possible
  3. Remove lid and cook on HIGH for 2 hours
  4. Puree carefully using an immersion blender or, in my case, food processor
  5. Pour into hot canning jars and tighten lid (if canned properly they can sit in your pantry for a year)

This is what the butter looks like after being pureed.  You could skip that step but yours would have the consistency of applesauce instead.  


Notice I didn't say to peel the apples?  That's mostly because I'm lazy and pretty much never peel any fruits or veggies, but also because  the peel gives the butter a nice, dark colour.  



Be aware that this does not make a lot of apple butter.  I was able to fill 2 and a half standard size mason jars (the half jar went straight to the fridge, but since the others were canned properly they will be fine in the pantry until opened).  


Apple butter can be spread on toast, cakes (you can never have too much apple!) or eaten with a spoon.   I'm currently testing a recipe for apple butter cake, so I'll be sure to report on that.    If you are into making homemade gifts for people (Christmas is coming!!!!!!)  this would be great.  

Are there any other types of fruit butters you have heard of or tried?  I've heard of pumpkin butter, but I imagine it would taste like pumpkin pie, right?  


Labels: ,

Our Wood Home: Pin-spiration: Slow cooker apple butter

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pin-spiration: Slow cooker apple butter

I'm guilty of using Pinterest way too much, and I find I rarely use/make/buy things I pin.  That's why I decided to start a mini project called Pin-spiration: using inspiration from Pinterest in real life.  The idea is to actually make the recipes I keep ogling, use the fashion ideas, make some of the crafts, etc.   

Today I'm sharing a recipe I found for apple butter made in the slow cooker.    I tried apple butter for the first time in college and it was delicious.  Back then I wasn't very motivated to cook from scratch, nor did I have the time.  But over the years I've thought how neat it would be to try making apple butter at home.  I always thought it would be easy, so last year I tried it and it was not good at all...I added too much cinnamon and the apples ended up looking more like apple sauce than butter.  This year I came across a recipe on Pinterest that seemed pretty easy so I tested it out.


If you have never had apple butter you may be thinking it sound gross, but it is awh-mazing.  Imagine biting into an apple but it has a smooth, velvety texture.  That is how I would describe apple butter.   Or, an even simpler way to think about it is pureed applesauce, because that is really all it is!

Ingredients:

  • 12 apples, washed and cut (I used Macintosh)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
  1. Combine everything in slow cooker 
  2. Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 12 hours, stirring occasionally if possible
  3. Remove lid and cook on HIGH for 2 hours
  4. Puree carefully using an immersion blender or, in my case, food processor
  5. Pour into hot canning jars and tighten lid (if canned properly they can sit in your pantry for a year)

This is what the butter looks like after being pureed.  You could skip that step but yours would have the consistency of applesauce instead.  


Notice I didn't say to peel the apples?  That's mostly because I'm lazy and pretty much never peel any fruits or veggies, but also because  the peel gives the butter a nice, dark colour.  



Be aware that this does not make a lot of apple butter.  I was able to fill 2 and a half standard size mason jars (the half jar went straight to the fridge, but since the others were canned properly they will be fine in the pantry until opened).  


Apple butter can be spread on toast, cakes (you can never have too much apple!) or eaten with a spoon.   I'm currently testing a recipe for apple butter cake, so I'll be sure to report on that.    If you are into making homemade gifts for people (Christmas is coming!!!!!!)  this would be great.  

Are there any other types of fruit butters you have heard of or tried?  I've heard of pumpkin butter, but I imagine it would taste like pumpkin pie, right?  


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home