mother daughter road trip!

Back in 2009 my mom asked me if I'd like to take a road trip across Canada's East Coast.  My first thought was I don't want to be away from my boyfriend for that long! and my second thought was YES (my boyfriend was David and we were used to seeing each other every day at school).

We planned for our trip to last from May 28-June 5, but that's where the planning ended.  We packed our suitcases, filled a cooler with food, got a guidebook at our local CAA office and off we went.  We didn't figure out our route until we were on the road and we navigated by paper map (we had a GPS but my mom refused to use it at first!).  On the first day we drove from Ontario to Northern Quebec and stayed at a hotel that we found in the CAA book; all hotels and restaurants listed offered members a discount.  Using our guidebook for reference we planned out each day's stops the night before.  

Here are some of the places we went (I think they may be out of order because I'm trying to decipher my mom's notes in our travel journal):
  1. Montreal
  2. Quebec City
  3. Grande Falls
  4. Florenceville
  5. New Denmark
  6. Peirth-Andover
  7. Hartland
  8. Nakawic
  9. Woodstock
  10. Fredericton
  11. St. John
  12. St. Martin
  13. Wood Islands
  14. Eldon
  15. Charlottetown
  16. North Chelton
  17. Summerside
  18. Cavendish
  19. Truro
  20. Halifax
  21. Peggy's Cove
  22. Stellarton
  23. Picto
  24. Moncton
  25. Dieppe
  26. Hopewell Cape
  27. Shediac
first hotel we stayed in

Grande Falls

Florenceville: where McCain makes their fries! You could smell the french fries all the way on the highway

my mom mailing a post card from Florenceville.  the next picture is her with the covered bridge shown on the postcard


me in Woodstock


world's largest axe to symblozie the importance of the forestry industry in Nackawik, New Brunswick

In Fredericton 


my mom in Fredericton

the Caves at St. Martin, New Brunswick

inside the caves...they are huge!

standing at the coast line in New Brunswick and looking across to spot Nova Scotia


it was soooo sunny that day!  pretty much every other day as either cold or rainy.

Hopewell Rocks/Flowerpot Rocks. you can walk during low tide, and when high tide hits the rocks look like giant flowerpots with the trees poking out. it was VERY windy!

Shediac: world's largest lobster


my dad's mom is from Nova Scotia so we made sure to get her lots of souvenirs!




Peggy's Cove is so beautiful. I'd love to live here one day.

seaside town of Peggy's Cove


boarding the 2 hour ferry from Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island

we made it to PEI! by far my favourite maritime province

look at that red sand!

and the red soil!  I brought some home in  jar :)

we found a tiny community named Eldon, which is also my dad's name!

Christina: friend to all cats :)

at Cow's ice cream in Charlottetown

a stranger asked if we waned him to take our picture and I was SO nervous he'd steal my camera! clearly, I overreacted.

standing in front of Confederation Bridge, which we later drove across.

I mentioned before we used CAA discounts wherever possible and that saved us a ton of money.  We also filled our cooler with food from the grocery store like yogurt, muffins and fruit so we could eat breakfast and lunch on the road instead of stopping for 3 meals a day.  When it came time to look for dinner we either ate at a place CAA recommended or asked the hotel manager to suggest a place.

We travelled before tourist season so there were no crowds anywhere. And we visited free attractions too! Since we went out of season, there were some touristy things that were closed, and we couldn't go on any guided tours, but we still had fun because we could pick and choose what to see. We also asked around for suggestions from people at the post office, grocery store and info centers.

 We had some snags on the trip...we got lost in old Montreal and finally used the GPS, during a huge rainstorm my mom's wipers stopped working and we had to drive super slowly with my head out the window for navigating us to the nearest garage, some of the hotel owners were a little creepy, we could only find seafood restaurants and my face broke out so badly thanks to eating so much greasy food. But it was a great trip!  We saw moose, I stuck my feet in the ocean, saw famous landmarks, visited where my grandmother grew up and finally got out of Ontario.



Labels: ,

Our Wood Home: mother daughter road trip!

Thursday, May 29, 2014

mother daughter road trip!

Back in 2009 my mom asked me if I'd like to take a road trip across Canada's East Coast.  My first thought was I don't want to be away from my boyfriend for that long! and my second thought was YES (my boyfriend was David and we were used to seeing each other every day at school).

We planned for our trip to last from May 28-June 5, but that's where the planning ended.  We packed our suitcases, filled a cooler with food, got a guidebook at our local CAA office and off we went.  We didn't figure out our route until we were on the road and we navigated by paper map (we had a GPS but my mom refused to use it at first!).  On the first day we drove from Ontario to Northern Quebec and stayed at a hotel that we found in the CAA book; all hotels and restaurants listed offered members a discount.  Using our guidebook for reference we planned out each day's stops the night before.  

Here are some of the places we went (I think they may be out of order because I'm trying to decipher my mom's notes in our travel journal):
  1. Montreal
  2. Quebec City
  3. Grande Falls
  4. Florenceville
  5. New Denmark
  6. Peirth-Andover
  7. Hartland
  8. Nakawic
  9. Woodstock
  10. Fredericton
  11. St. John
  12. St. Martin
  13. Wood Islands
  14. Eldon
  15. Charlottetown
  16. North Chelton
  17. Summerside
  18. Cavendish
  19. Truro
  20. Halifax
  21. Peggy's Cove
  22. Stellarton
  23. Picto
  24. Moncton
  25. Dieppe
  26. Hopewell Cape
  27. Shediac
first hotel we stayed in

Grande Falls

Florenceville: where McCain makes their fries! You could smell the french fries all the way on the highway

my mom mailing a post card from Florenceville.  the next picture is her with the covered bridge shown on the postcard


me in Woodstock


world's largest axe to symblozie the importance of the forestry industry in Nackawik, New Brunswick

In Fredericton 


my mom in Fredericton

the Caves at St. Martin, New Brunswick

inside the caves...they are huge!

standing at the coast line in New Brunswick and looking across to spot Nova Scotia


it was soooo sunny that day!  pretty much every other day as either cold or rainy.

Hopewell Rocks/Flowerpot Rocks. you can walk during low tide, and when high tide hits the rocks look like giant flowerpots with the trees poking out. it was VERY windy!

Shediac: world's largest lobster


my dad's mom is from Nova Scotia so we made sure to get her lots of souvenirs!




Peggy's Cove is so beautiful. I'd love to live here one day.

seaside town of Peggy's Cove


boarding the 2 hour ferry from Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island

we made it to PEI! by far my favourite maritime province

look at that red sand!

and the red soil!  I brought some home in  jar :)

we found a tiny community named Eldon, which is also my dad's name!

Christina: friend to all cats :)

at Cow's ice cream in Charlottetown

a stranger asked if we waned him to take our picture and I was SO nervous he'd steal my camera! clearly, I overreacted.

standing in front of Confederation Bridge, which we later drove across.

I mentioned before we used CAA discounts wherever possible and that saved us a ton of money.  We also filled our cooler with food from the grocery store like yogurt, muffins and fruit so we could eat breakfast and lunch on the road instead of stopping for 3 meals a day.  When it came time to look for dinner we either ate at a place CAA recommended or asked the hotel manager to suggest a place.

We travelled before tourist season so there were no crowds anywhere. And we visited free attractions too! Since we went out of season, there were some touristy things that were closed, and we couldn't go on any guided tours, but we still had fun because we could pick and choose what to see. We also asked around for suggestions from people at the post office, grocery store and info centers.

 We had some snags on the trip...we got lost in old Montreal and finally used the GPS, during a huge rainstorm my mom's wipers stopped working and we had to drive super slowly with my head out the window for navigating us to the nearest garage, some of the hotel owners were a little creepy, we could only find seafood restaurants and my face broke out so badly thanks to eating so much greasy food. But it was a great trip!  We saw moose, I stuck my feet in the ocean, saw famous landmarks, visited where my grandmother grew up and finally got out of Ontario.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home