A little while ago I wrote about how we had to renovate both our bathrooms. It's quite the process and we are almost done, but there are still a few more things to do. We are doing both bathrooms at the same time so there is a lot of work to be done, especially since the basement bath is a complete gut!
The main bathroom was getting new rerouted plumbing to the shower, the tub orientation was being flipped so instead of facing West it now faces East, a new tub and shower surround were being installed and the light fixture was being replaced. We ended up having to remove some wall tile to get the old tub out, so we have to replace a few feet of tile. And since we were doing a lot of work there already I decided to repaint the walls and tile.
|The walls are tiled with this stuff...not so nice. Removing it all would be very time consuming and so would the repair of the walls. I've decided to paint the tile when I paint the rest of the wall, so stay tuned for a tutorial!|
|This is our shower/tub before. They are both blue-ish grey but not even the same shade! They were old, super hard to clean and just plain ugly. The surround didn't go all the way to the ceiling so that part of the wall got very moist.|
|The new tub and shower are both white, which looks so much better! As you can see the shower head is now on the opposite wall, which makes so much more sense! The surround also goes all the way up to the ceiling.|
The junction box for the light fixture had to be moved because it wasn't centered over anything, so now we are waiting for the drywall mud to dry so the fixture can go up. I'm planning to paint tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to.
|This is where we had to remove some wall tile to take out the old tub. We are installing new tile and painting it and all existing tile the same colour as the walls.|
|Rewiring and re positioning the junction boxes for our new light fixture. The drywall mud is obviously my handiwork...|
The basement bathroom/laundry room was a complete gut. So far all we've done is the demo because the main bathroom is a priority. Thankfully there won't be a lot of work in the basement because the drywall needs just a bit of patching. We are replacing the toilet and sink as well as painting and laying new floors. I'm super excited about our sink because it's an antique we found for FREE. The floors will be easy to install because they are vinyl so we just glue them over the concrete. We will eventually replace the shower but not right away.
|This wall was a nightmare! There was a giant parquet counter top, yucky and leaky sink and tile on the wall. There was also a weird dividing wall, gross toilet and more wall tile.|
|Counter and weird wall removed!! |
Still to do in the basement:
- patch drywall
- remove tile by toilet
- relocate light fixture to wall above sink
- lay new floors
- install sink and toilet
It seems like a lot, but I don't think it will take long. I have a feeling the light fixture will take the longest to do judging by the process upstairs.
This bathroom is so awful that any improvements will be amazing. I'm painting all the walls, including the wood, a greenish white and the floors will be a dark walnut colour. I'm keeping all details of our sink a secret just for fun:)
I'm looking forward to showing the end result of both spaces and for them to FINALLY be finished. A lot of work have gone into them so far, almost entirely by my husband and father-in-law.
To see more pictures of the reno, feel free to check out my Facebook page.
Labels: DIY, house