our "diet"



A lot of people make resolutions to start dieting at the beginning of each new year, but it seems like most diets fail because they are hard to stick to.  I've never been one to diet because I've maintained a healthy weight through my teen and adult years.  My husband is the same.  However, shortly after we got married he mentioned a few times how he just had no energy and felt lethargic.  We came to the conclusion that it was all the red meat we had been eating (David's family didn't eat a lot of meat and when they did, it was only fish and chicken, so his body wasn't used to processing red meat).  I'd usually cook beef a few times a week so we decided to cut it out altogether.  David soon noticed a difference in his energy levels, which was great.  We started our red meat reduced diet about 1 year ago and have no regrets.  We still enjoyed steaks and burgers during the summer.  And I will never turn down a pulled pork sammie!  But we enjoy the taste of red meat so much more now that it's an occasional food.

We also recently decided to only eat chips and drink pop on the weekend, as opposed to whenever we felt like (this is mainly for me...my teeth can't handle all the sugar that is in pop!).  Not only are we saving money buy not buying so much junk food, but we are making healthier snack choices.
I also decided to cut out white flour and replace it with whole wheat.  I do a lot of baking so I think this is a good choice.  This picture below will show you why I made that choice...


The one on the right is my old flour...look how much extra crap was in it!  And the one on the left is the organic, whole wheat we now use.  Whole wheat flour tastes so much better in baked goods and gives a really nice texture.  But here's the best part: we are eating healthier without making radical changes to our lifestyle.  

Let's review our diet:

  I'd like to point out something really important though: even though we have changed our eating habits, we will stray from that in social situations.  If we are offered a piece of pie at a family meal we don't ask if the crust is organic whole wheat; we eat the darn pie if we want it!  Eating and sharing food really is a social event and we'd never want to make people uncomfortable or feel insulted if we turned down something they offered us.  We enjoy meals with loved ones, regardless of what it is.  And we don't beat ourselves up if we drink a pop at a restaurant with friends on a Wednesday night.  Our food choices are personal and something we choose to do.  We don't want anyone else to feel bad about what they eat, we only want to offer encouragement to anyone who is considering  making positive changes to their eating habits.  We want to say "yes, it is possible to have a long term diet that works without cutting out the foods you love".  Our eating habits are about moderation: we won't deprive ourselves of a food because it's considered unhealthy.  We will instead have a small portion occasionally.

I hope you read this whole post and found it helpful or informative.  And I wish you best of luck if you decide to adopt similar eating habits.  Feel free to ask me any questions in the comment section below or drop me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com).



Please note: I'm not a doctor or nutritionist.  You should consult your health care practitioner before beginning any radical diets.  We do not consider this a diet, rather a lifestyle choice.  

Labels: ,

Our Wood Home: our "diet"

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

our "diet"



A lot of people make resolutions to start dieting at the beginning of each new year, but it seems like most diets fail because they are hard to stick to.  I've never been one to diet because I've maintained a healthy weight through my teen and adult years.  My husband is the same.  However, shortly after we got married he mentioned a few times how he just had no energy and felt lethargic.  We came to the conclusion that it was all the red meat we had been eating (David's family didn't eat a lot of meat and when they did, it was only fish and chicken, so his body wasn't used to processing red meat).  I'd usually cook beef a few times a week so we decided to cut it out altogether.  David soon noticed a difference in his energy levels, which was great.  We started our red meat reduced diet about 1 year ago and have no regrets.  We still enjoyed steaks and burgers during the summer.  And I will never turn down a pulled pork sammie!  But we enjoy the taste of red meat so much more now that it's an occasional food.

We also recently decided to only eat chips and drink pop on the weekend, as opposed to whenever we felt like (this is mainly for me...my teeth can't handle all the sugar that is in pop!).  Not only are we saving money buy not buying so much junk food, but we are making healthier snack choices.
I also decided to cut out white flour and replace it with whole wheat.  I do a lot of baking so I think this is a good choice.  This picture below will show you why I made that choice...


The one on the right is my old flour...look how much extra crap was in it!  And the one on the left is the organic, whole wheat we now use.  Whole wheat flour tastes so much better in baked goods and gives a really nice texture.  But here's the best part: we are eating healthier without making radical changes to our lifestyle.  

Let's review our diet:

  • less red meat (maybe once a month)
  • drinking alcohol and pop only on weekends
  • eating chips only on weekends
  • using whole wheat flour instead of white
  I'd like to point out something really important though: even though we have changed our eating habits, we will stray from that in social situations.  If we are offered a piece of pie at a family meal we don't ask if the crust is organic whole wheat; we eat the darn pie if we want it!  Eating and sharing food really is a social event and we'd never want to make people uncomfortable or feel insulted if we turned down something they offered us.  We enjoy meals with loved ones, regardless of what it is.  And we don't beat ourselves up if we drink a pop at a restaurant with friends on a Wednesday night.  Our food choices are personal and something we choose to do.  We don't want anyone else to feel bad about what they eat, we only want to offer encouragement to anyone who is considering  making positive changes to their eating habits.  We want to say "yes, it is possible to have a long term diet that works without cutting out the foods you love".  Our eating habits are about moderation: we won't deprive ourselves of a food because it's considered unhealthy.  We will instead have a small portion occasionally.

I hope you read this whole post and found it helpful or informative.  And I wish you best of luck if you decide to adopt similar eating habits.  Feel free to ask me any questions in the comment section below or drop me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com).



Please note: I'm not a doctor or nutritionist.  You should consult your health care practitioner before beginning any radical diets.  We do not consider this a diet, rather a lifestyle choice.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home