men's shirt into a pencil skirt tutorial


I'm so unbelievably proud of this skirt that it's a little sad. I mean, turning a shirt into a skirt isn't rocket science, but I have almost NO sewing skills so that simple fact that I made something wearable (by hand, I might add!) is amazing to me.  Since my sewing machine has never worked properly I've grown used to sewing everything by hand...and that that takes a long time!! I spent a whole afternoon on this skirt, from start to finish but it's actually a relatively quick project if you have a sewing machine.  It's important to find a shirt to use that is bigger than you need, so that you have some material to work with.  I actually used one of my husband's old shirts that no longer fits him and it just fits me across the hips in skirt form.

my husband, when his shirt still fit.  now, it's waaaay too tight in the shoulders and arms. 

Before I give the instructions on how to make this I'd like to point out that THIS IS NOT MY TUTORIAL.  IT WAS CREATED BY SOMEONE ELSE AND I SIMPLY ADJUSTED IT TO MY LIKING.  This great idea was created by Suzannah of Adventures in Dressmaking.  Her original tutorial is great, but I did things slightly different when making my skirt.  I'm going to post what I did with the link to Suzannah's post at the end.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Materials needed:


Steps:

1. Cut off the sleeves of the shirt, including the seam


2. Decide how long you want your skirt to be and cut off the collar and the back yoke


3. Lay your skirt on the shirt and trace around the edges using tailors chalk.  


4. Cut out the front and back pieces of the shirt (mine goes out a little at the hips and tapers back in at the waist because my hips are fairly broad and my waist is tinier.  I will always wear this skirt at the smallest part of my waist)


5. If desired sew some of the button gaps closed with a simple stitch running vertically (I made sure the top 2 buttons could still be opened but I didn't want the rest gaping)

6. Lay the pieces of fabric wrong sides together and pin at the side seams.

8. Hand sew the seams on both sides.

9. Pin and hem the bottom hemline.

10. Pin and hem the top of the fabric to create a waistband.

TA-DA! You just made a skirt. Now go put it on and take pictures of your fab creation.  I sure did!


            


As I mentioned before, this tutorial is NOT my original idea.  I adapted a great tutorial from Adventures in Dressmaking and you can view it here.  

What do you think of this idea?  I'm so excited to make more plaid shirts into cute little skirts!  Would you do plaid or solid or another pattern?  I'd love to see what you guys come up with so let me know by commenting below, sending me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com), tweeting me @OurWoodHomeblog or even on Facebook.  I'm also on Pinterest, so follow me and I'll follow back.


Labels: ,

Our Wood Home: men's shirt into a pencil skirt tutorial

Friday, January 31, 2014

men's shirt into a pencil skirt tutorial


I'm so unbelievably proud of this skirt that it's a little sad. I mean, turning a shirt into a skirt isn't rocket science, but I have almost NO sewing skills so that simple fact that I made something wearable (by hand, I might add!) is amazing to me.  Since my sewing machine has never worked properly I've grown used to sewing everything by hand...and that that takes a long time!! I spent a whole afternoon on this skirt, from start to finish but it's actually a relatively quick project if you have a sewing machine.  It's important to find a shirt to use that is bigger than you need, so that you have some material to work with.  I actually used one of my husband's old shirts that no longer fits him and it just fits me across the hips in skirt form.

my husband, when his shirt still fit.  now, it's waaaay too tight in the shoulders and arms. 

Before I give the instructions on how to make this I'd like to point out that THIS IS NOT MY TUTORIAL.  IT WAS CREATED BY SOMEONE ELSE AND I SIMPLY ADJUSTED IT TO MY LIKING.  This great idea was created by Suzannah of Adventures in Dressmaking.  Her original tutorial is great, but I did things slightly different when making my skirt.  I'm going to post what I did with the link to Suzannah's post at the end.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Materials needed:

  • men's button down shirt (I used a men's medium)
  • one of your own skirts as a template
  • tailors chalk
  • straight pins
  • scissors
  • needle and thread OR sewing machine

Steps:

1. Cut off the sleeves of the shirt, including the seam


2. Decide how long you want your skirt to be and cut off the collar and the back yoke


3. Lay your skirt on the shirt and trace around the edges using tailors chalk.  


4. Cut out the front and back pieces of the shirt (mine goes out a little at the hips and tapers back in at the waist because my hips are fairly broad and my waist is tinier.  I will always wear this skirt at the smallest part of my waist)


5. If desired sew some of the button gaps closed with a simple stitch running vertically (I made sure the top 2 buttons could still be opened but I didn't want the rest gaping)

6. Lay the pieces of fabric wrong sides together and pin at the side seams.

8. Hand sew the seams on both sides.

9. Pin and hem the bottom hemline.

10. Pin and hem the top of the fabric to create a waistband.

TA-DA! You just made a skirt. Now go put it on and take pictures of your fab creation.  I sure did!


            


As I mentioned before, this tutorial is NOT my original idea.  I adapted a great tutorial from Adventures in Dressmaking and you can view it here.  

What do you think of this idea?  I'm so excited to make more plaid shirts into cute little skirts!  Would you do plaid or solid or another pattern?  I'd love to see what you guys come up with so let me know by commenting below, sending me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com), tweeting me @OurWoodHomeblog or even on Facebook.  I'm also on Pinterest, so follow me and I'll follow back.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2014 at 7:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Would this idea work with a shirt that does not have buttons?

 
At January 31, 2014 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Christina said...

I'm sure that a button-less shirt would work, but it would have to be made of material with a lit of stretch or you'd have to add a zipper. Using a shirt with buttons is probably the best idea though and they can be bought at reasonable prices at second hand stores.

 

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home