home made cherry sauce


Recently I picked up a free food magazine at the local grocery store, Foodland.  The magazine, Inspired, mainly features the stores new products but occasionally has recipes using fresh produce or meat (remember the BBQ sauce cupcakes I made?  That recipe came from the same magazine).  When I saw a Cherry Sauce recipe I knew I had to make it. 


 

Ingredients
3 cups cherries, pitted and halved
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup red wine (I used raspberry wine but you could easily substitute wine for cranberry juice)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter


Combine cherries, sugar, lemon juice and wine in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Press on the cherries with a large spoon to release their juices in the pot.  Add nutmeg, honey and vanilla.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water.  Slowly whisk into cherry sauce.  Simmer until sauce thickens. 

Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.  Pour sauce in a container and refrigerate 1 hour. 

 We LOVED this sauce on vanilla ice cream.  I even made it again using strawberries instead of cherries.  Once we ran out of ice cream I spooned the strawberry sauce onto store bought short cakes and topped with homemade whip cream.  YUM!

 

Labels:

Our Wood Home: home made cherry sauce

Monday, August 12, 2013

home made cherry sauce


Recently I picked up a free food magazine at the local grocery store, Foodland.  The magazine, Inspired, mainly features the stores new products but occasionally has recipes using fresh produce or meat (remember the BBQ sauce cupcakes I made?  That recipe came from the same magazine).  When I saw a Cherry Sauce recipe I knew I had to make it. 


 

Ingredients
3 cups cherries, pitted and halved
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup red wine (I used raspberry wine but you could easily substitute wine for cranberry juice)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter


Combine cherries, sugar, lemon juice and wine in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Press on the cherries with a large spoon to release their juices in the pot.  Add nutmeg, honey and vanilla.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water.  Slowly whisk into cherry sauce.  Simmer until sauce thickens. 

Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.  Pour sauce in a container and refrigerate 1 hour. 

 We LOVED this sauce on vanilla ice cream.  I even made it again using strawberries instead of cherries.  Once we ran out of ice cream I spooned the strawberry sauce onto store bought short cakes and topped with homemade whip cream.  YUM!

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home