corn chowder recipe

A few years ago I had amazing corn chowder at a restaurant in Toronto.  It was my first time eating chowder and the only type I will ever eat (I don’t really like seafood).  I actually forgot all about my chowder experience until I came across a recipe in my cookbooks and magazines.  The restaurant chowder tasted like potato soup with pieces of corn and lots of flavour…the recipe I found looked like it was going to taste similar so I was very excited to try it.  I wish I could properly credit the source of the recipe but I can’t figure out where I got it (I only wrote the recipe down on a card for my recipe box). 

I followed the recipe almost perfectly but made some changes along the way.  I will note my changes and what the recipe initially called for.


  1. Combine water, herbs, potato, flour and onion in a large pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the milk and corn; simmer for another 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat, remove onion and mash the chowder with a potato masher (to get rid of the lumps).
  4. Season with salt and pepper; serve.



This was such a good dinner!!  The recipe makes enough for about 4 adult-sized servings.  I made it in my little Dutch oven but I think a regular pot would work too.  Since I substituted plain water for chicken stock I added a lot of seasoning to make sure the end result wasn’t bland.  I suggest adding maybe ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt during the cooking but no more.  Some people may be okay with a mild taste (like my husband) and others, like me, prefer to have lots of salt and pepper…the amount I used in the cooking was just enough for my husband but I chose to add more to my bowl.  David also dipped some buttered rye bread in his serving…that might be worth trying!

Labels:

Our Wood Home: corn chowder recipe

Thursday, April 18, 2013

corn chowder recipe

A few years ago I had amazing corn chowder at a restaurant in Toronto.  It was my first time eating chowder and the only type I will ever eat (I don’t really like seafood).  I actually forgot all about my chowder experience until I came across a recipe in my cookbooks and magazines.  The restaurant chowder tasted like potato soup with pieces of corn and lots of flavour…the recipe I found looked like it was going to taste similar so I was very excited to try it.  I wish I could properly credit the source of the recipe but I can’t figure out where I got it (I only wrote the recipe down on a card for my recipe box). 

I followed the recipe almost perfectly but made some changes along the way.  I will note my changes and what the recipe initially called for.

  • 1 onion, cut in half (the recipe said to use 1 cup chopped onion but I don’t like cutting onions or eating them!)
  • (1/4 cup chopped celery)
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 cups water (I was supposed to use chicken stock but we didn’t have any, plus I didn’t want the flavour of chicken)
  • 1 teaspoon each of thyme and oregano
  • 1 tablespoon pulled pork spice (to make it smoky flavoured)
  • 3 potatoes, diced (the recipe called for 1 potato but I felt like that wasn’t enough)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup creamed corn and 1 cup frozen corn
  • salt and pepper to taste

  1. Combine water, herbs, potato, flour and onion in a large pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the milk and corn; simmer for another 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat, remove onion and mash the chowder with a potato masher (to get rid of the lumps).
  4. Season with salt and pepper; serve.



This was such a good dinner!!  The recipe makes enough for about 4 adult-sized servings.  I made it in my little Dutch oven but I think a regular pot would work too.  Since I substituted plain water for chicken stock I added a lot of seasoning to make sure the end result wasn’t bland.  I suggest adding maybe ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt during the cooking but no more.  Some people may be okay with a mild taste (like my husband) and others, like me, prefer to have lots of salt and pepper…the amount I used in the cooking was just enough for my husband but I chose to add more to my bowl.  David also dipped some buttered rye bread in his serving…that might be worth trying!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home